Last month a collegue I met at WordCamp Zurich pointed me to the article Human Made Publishes Free WordPress REST API Whitepaper and in this article it was like its by Automattic which it is of course not. But all of the sudden it covers a few interesting facts.
I just want to summarize a few of the key points.
- As the WordPress REST API is coming with a JSON stream of the content it has new opportunities for Front-End developers, because they are not longer bounded to WordPress theming and they can make a whole new experience in whatever programming language.
- According to this, the classic WordPress developer is a Back-End Developer. Thanks that my job finally really has an offical name.
- All developers have new opportunities by the REST API
But as it sounds very good and opens a new whole world some disadvantages came to my focus.
Did you remember how much plugins do you bought? Did you remember how often do you used WooCommerce, Contact Form 7 and Gravity forms? All these plugins are going directly in part of a WordPress theme called in the hook “the_content”. With a JSON stream of the content this is (in my opinion) not longer possible as the JSON really is a step forward to Model-Viev-Controller (MVC) architecture.
And this no longer will support controlling elements into the stream? If I am wrong just write comments to stop me, spreading this rumours. But I bet there are so many plugins working inside the content which are not working any longer then. All of these plugins will go. On the other hand new apps and plugins will evolve, making use of the API.
Share your thoughts on this, please.
Coming up next on WP-Plugin-Dev.com:
- The “No blogging” trend
- Offline Text Editors for WordPress posts
Read the other articles:
- Another Batch of #Telegram Plugins for #WordPress (part 2)
Welcome to the second article of the WordPress series auround plugins interacting with Telegram messenger. First of all, we omit plugins based on external services. Maybe then we have nothing to write about any more. But to be fair we list them here....
» Read more
- The new era or not? How to connect #WordPress to #Telegram (part 1)
As promised we are starting a new series about Telegram plugins for WordPress. As you can guess this is still a total niche. And if you search for Telegram plugins on WordPress.org you got 5 sites, but most of them maybe just do something else and have nothing to do with Telegram. And why Telegram? Telegram is a secure messenger (tried to hack it myself, this is why I know this) and most of its cl...
» Read more
- Save the world from ads.
It is all about advertising, every time, everywhere. Web clients have ad-blockers, people are jaded by ads. Companies like Google earning thousand of bucks a day. WordPress websites are containing more ads as we want. The bloggers having serious earnings from blogging are rare. And if you really think about it? You have a lot of stress because of financial things, unless you are one of the few per...
» Read more