Last month a collegue I met at WordCamp Zurich pointed me to the article Human Made Publishes Free WordPress REST API Whitepaper and in this article it was like its by Automattic which it is of course not. But all of the sudden it covers a few interesting facts.
I just want to summarize a few of the key points.
- As the WordPress REST API is coming with a JSON stream of the content it has new opportunities for Front-End developers, because they are not longer bounded to WordPress theming and they can make a whole new experience in whatever programming language.
- According to this, the classic WordPress developer is a Back-End Developer. Thanks that my job finally really has an offical name.
- All developers have new opportunities by the REST API
But as it sounds very good and opens a new whole world some disadvantages came to my focus.
Did you remember how much plugins do you bought? Did you remember how often do you used WooCommerce, Contact Form 7 and Gravity forms? All these plugins are going directly in part of a WordPress theme called in the hook “the_content”. With a JSON stream of the content this is (in my opinion) not longer possible as the JSON really is a step forward to Model-Viev-Controller (MVC) architecture.
And this no longer will support controlling elements into the stream? If I am wrong just write comments to stop me, spreading this rumours. But I bet there are so many plugins working inside the content which are not working any longer then. All of these plugins will go. On the other hand new apps and plugins will evolve, making use of the API.
Share your thoughts on this, please.
Coming up next on WP-Plugin-Dev.com:
- The “No blogging” trend
- Offline Text Editors for WordPress posts
Read the other articles:
- #Telegram for #WordPress selected #plugins (part 4)
So we are ending our #WordPress #Telegram series for now, and maybe adding our own plugin to this list later. And the best news in my opinion: #WordPress admits they get important notifications over Telegram and also included sharing button for Telegram natively in Jetpack I believe....
» Read more
- Telegram Plugins for #WordPress (part 3)
This is already part three of our WordPress Telegram series and we are already near near the end of the series of the https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/telegram/ . As already mentioned Universal Chat looks promising but it is an external service. As we come closer to he first page, results getting better of course....
» Read more
- Another Batch of #Telegram Plugins for #WordPress (part 2)
Welcome to the second article of the WordPress series auround plugins interacting with Telegram messenger. First of all, we omit plugins based on external services. Maybe then we have nothing to write about any more. But to be fair we list them here....
» Read more